New York City Freedom Trail, Slavery & Underground Railroad Guided Walking Tour
Price On Request
Join this unique walking tour following the Freedom Trail in NYC and discover the people & networks who saved so many people from the American slave trade. Visit a former Underground Railroad stop & pay tribute at the African Burial Ground Memorial. Follow the Freedom Trail in New York City as your professional guide shares the inspiring history of a band of brave men and women who formed the networks that became the Underground Railroad. Follow along and visit an archaeological site and memorial dedicated to the memory of enslaved Africans in colonial America and even a former station that was part of the Underground Railroad. From the riots, revolts and dramatic escapes to tales of courage and triumph, you will discover the stories of real New Yorkers who risked their lives to help those affected by the American slave trade.
- Any cancellations made after 13:00 local time, 2 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.
- 2 (hrs)
Check In/Pickup Location Details
Please meet your guide at the bottom of the steps in front of the Museum of the American Indian.
Bowling Green - 4 & 5
South Ferry - 1
- Children of all ages can participate in this activity.
- Participants must be able to comfortably walk over pavement for an hour or more.
- This activity is wheelchair accessible.
- Gratuity is not included in the price.
- No pets allowed with the exception of service animals.
- Restroom stops are not guaranteed. Please use the restroom ahead of time.
- Smoking is not allowed on the tour.
- This activity operates regardless of weather.
Dressing & Items to Bring
- Printed VELTRA voucher
- Credit card
- A valid government-issued photo ID
Requirement(s) - other
- You must have a printed copy of your VELTRA voucher to present upon check-in. You will not be able to participate in this activity if you only have a digital copy on your mobile device.
- Please note that the credit card used and valid photo ID must be presented upon check-in. The name listed on the credit card must be identical to the contact name listed on booking.
|New York City Freedom Trail, Slavery & Underground Railroad Guided Walking Tour|
Check-in at National Museum of the American Indian
First Slave Market
Being the tour with a visit to New York City's first slave market. Upon your arrival at the historic landmark, learn about the history of slavery during the colonial years of the city. Throughout the tour, listen to the stories of revolts and triumphs during the legendary era of American slavery.
Discover the famous hidden gem that is the Underground Railroad, a network of secret routes and safe houses which a group of brave men and women formed during the early-to-mid 18th century to escape into the free states and to Canada.
African Burial Ground Memorial
Finally, stop by the archaeological site and memorial dedicated to the memories of all enslaved Africans and New Yorkers who died to escape slavery. Today, it is deemed as a momentous tribute to all African and African American Cemetery in NYC.
Check-out at Broadway